Thank you for agreeing to become a blood donor at Research Donors. We collect blood samples which are used by researchers to develop new medical treatments for serious diseases and your donation may help make a difference.
Please read this information carefully and follow the instructions given so that you are able to make a donation when you visit. You can download a PDF version.
What to bring:
Proof of your identity is required. We can accept include passport, birth certificate, driving licence, EEA state identity card, and similar documents. If in doubt, please ask us ahead of appointment time.
A UK bank account is needed – bring your bank name, account name and number and sort code. Bring a bank statement or bank card which shows these.
Your GP details – you must be registered with a General Practitioner, who is registered in the UK.
You must attend on time or we may not be able to take a donation and would not be able to reimburse you.
To become a donor, you must:
- Be between 18 and 60 years of age
- Weigh more than 50 kg and have normal blood pressure and heart rate
- Be a resident of the UK
You cannot donate if:
- You have been diagnosed with AIDS/HIV, Hepatitis B or C or any other blood borne infectious disease
- You have any medical problems like asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, anaemia or any condition associated with excessive blood loss
- You are a drug user who has taken recreational drugs/drugs of abuse at any time in the previous 6 weeks
- You have consumed alcohol in the 24 hours before your appointment
- You have taken any prescription or over-the-counter medications (except contraceptives), including anti-inflammatory medicines such as aspirin or ibuprofen, within 1 week of the appointment
- You have donated blood anywhere else within the previous 4 months
- You are pregnant or less than 6 months has passed since delivery or termination
Location and getting here
We are located at Unit C14 Poplar Business Park, London, E14 9RL which is just off Poplar High Street. Our phone number is 0207 870 3742.
The nearest DLR station is at Blackwall. When exiting come down the stairs from the station, onto Prestage Way and follow it around the corner onto Poplar High Street. Cross Preston’s Road and Poplar Business Park is down a small side road to the left of the Tesco Express.
The following buses all stop at Poplar High Street/Blackwall:
- Route 15 to Blackwall Station
- D6 to Ash Grove/Isle of Dogs
- D7 Poplar All Saints
- D8 Stratford
When you arrive at the building please use the intercom to call us and we will let you in the building. We are on the first floor.
The donation process
The whole collection process should take no more than 1 hour if you arrive on time for your appointment.
At every appointment you must bring in the items in the ‘What to bring’ section, such as proof of identity.
We will ask you to fill in some forms explaining the process and asking for your consent to proceed.
We will run some tests to make sure you meet our eligibility requirements. If you pass these we will then take your blood donation.
When this is complete we will ask you to stay for a drink and a snack for 15 minutes to make sure you are well.
Please note that not providing the required information, not giving consent, or failing any of the eligibility tests will mean that the donation cannot take place, and we will not reimburse donors in these circumstances.
If your appointment was made with an agency, they are responsible for making payments. They will pay you the fee that you have agreed with them at the time and in the manner they have agreed with you in advance.
Payment is made by us directly into your bank account and you will receive this on the day after your appointment.
If you have any questions we will be happy to help. Please contact us on 0207 870 3742 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.